Saturday, May 16, 2020

40 Pounds of Flesh

On Wednesday, Ashley called me.
Last week we went together and bought 20 pounds of ground beef from a farmer.

It was amazing!
Well, as amazing as ground beef can be.

This time, a local poultry farmer was offering 40 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts for only $65.

She had ordered 40 pounds and was picking it up on Thursday.
Did I want her to add 40 for me to the order?



Since our freezer needs stocked, I said yes.

She called later to tell me that it was too late to add onto her order for this sale 
but she would split her order with me.

Okey dokey.

On Thursday, we headed to the farm where she had the guy load the chicken in her trunk.

Then we headed to camp for lunch!

I had this fleeting thought as I watched her wrestle the box of chicken into the fridge at camp to keep it cool.

Seemed like a lot of chicken.



Yesterday, Ashley and kids came over.  Ashley was going to cut the chicken into equal pieces and bag it with my food saver.

I have trouble walking but standing still is horrible for me, my knee locks and I can't move!

So while I played with the kids (yes, I play), Mr. K went to get us a pizza and Ashley opened the box.

Ugh.  Within minutes, my kitchen reeked of raw chicken!

At times, we were gagging.

She did a bang up job, bagging them in meal size portions...

It took hours and hours!

All we could say is that it is done...
Forty pounds is a LOT of chicken...
And most of all, thank goodness we didn't get 80 pounds!

We're still pretty much staying home...
Limiting trips in public...
Wearing masks in public...
Washing the skin off of our hands!
Staying healthy...






No comments: