Tuesday, July 11, 2017

In an instant!

Years ago, when I was a terribly horrible cook, my mother started buying me kitchen stuff to get me inspired...

Like Mixing bowls,
and potato ricers,
Next it was a bread machine...
And then a pressure cooker!

Now that pressure cooker scared the bejeebers out of me.

Remember those days?

That knobby thing on top rocked back and forth, spewing steamy messages that one day it would blow and your kitchen ceiling would never be the same again...
 
 

Actually, that DID NOT happen. 

Instead, back when Mark and I were just getting on our feet as home owners,
we had some pretty thrifty moments. 
The pressure cooker, that scary pot, could make work boots tender and easy to chew. 
We depended on it.

Until that fateful day...

As usual, I put the pot (full of some cheap cut of meat, some veggies and herbs) on the stove and we high tailed it to the other side of the house where we could not hear the rattle of that dangerous pot.

Finally, the timer went off, I ran in to turn the stove off and we waited the proper number of minutes for the pressure to go down.

I went back into the kitchen, took the knobby thing off the pot and twisted the handles to open it...

But it did not open.

I ran it under cold water...

I tried to wedge something between the handles as a lever...

I tapped it with something hard...

I banged it with something harder...

I sat on the porch with the darn thing, waiting for Mark to get home and open it...

He came...
He saw...
He tapped, twisted, swore and banged...

He put the kids in the car and went to McDonalds.

They ate.

We pitched the darn pot full of our dinner.
For all I know, it's in some landfill, still full of our dinner.

Now...fast forward to 2017...

I bought an INSTANT POT!!!!

 
Yes, it is a pressure cooker...
Yes, it is probably as dangerous as the old one...
 
but it's soooo cool, so modern, and it turns itself off!
 
Yes, it wasn't cheap and the corresponding cookbooks added to the cost...
but it was full of promises of healthy and delicious meals...
 
~not to mention the one that it would take the place of many kitchen things~
 
I no longer have a need for a crock pot, rice cooker, egg cooker, yogurt maker...
(not that I had all of those things in my kitchen)
 
Get the picture?
 
Of course, it needed a purpose...
 
And I found it!
 
It makes the most extraordinary hard boiled eggs!
 
Seriously, the best!
 
I can't believe how easy it is...how beautifully they peel
and how many I can cook at once!
 
Ashley will send up a dozen eggs for me to cook,
I will throw a dozen from our fridge as well...
 
And wham-a-lam!
 
We have eggs.
 
No fuss, no muss!
 
How many eggs will I have to make to break even?
 
Let's just say...
 
Get busy, chickens!
 
 
 

No comments: