Saturday, July 06, 2019

Still Here/And I can see

A little over a month ago, I made a commitment to post three good things here each week for the next three months.

About a week ago, One of the best things that happened in quite a while happened...

I had a persistent, nagging, irritating, life-limiting cateract removed from my left eye..

According to my eye doctor, when I asked her about Lasix surgery last September,
I was developing a cataract in my left eye and that when it was ripe, they would not only remove it, they would correct my vision to perfect in that eye.

Since that seemed to be in the far, far future, I just ordered a six month supply of contacts and went home.

Now, a little background...For about 35 years, I have used monovision, one contact to see close and one to see far.  It has always worked, but in the fall, my far distance seemed to be worsening.

Fall got busy...Mindy was in and out of the hospital, Henry was born 5 weeks early and was in the NICU for a few weeks, Thanksgiving, Christmas preparation and celebration...I just made the best of it by not driving at night and wearing my glasses all the time.

Finally, the fog that surrounded the left side of my life was driving me crazy.  I went to see my eye doctor who examined and re-examined my eyes.  Finally she pronounced my cataract was ripe!  She explained that to be considered 'ripe' your vision could not be corrected better than 20/70 and I was beyond that.

She made an appointment with the surgeon, who re-scheduled for a week later (which turned out to be a good thing).  My appointment was on June 26.  I immediately liked the doctor who conducted several tests.  He was amazed that I am right handed and left eye dominant.  (I am sure, that in someone's definition, it means I am some kind of crazy...)

He said that it must have been annoying to have my vision that limited.  He asked when I wanted to have it done.

I said last week.  He said that he couldn't do it that far back, what would be my second choice.

Tomorrow?  He said that he was booked for tomorrow, but how about next Thursday?

We walked into the office where his secretary said that she had just gotten off the phone, that one of his surgeries for the next day had cancelled.  

And so...without further ado, I filled out paperwork, was given instructions, antiseptic eye drops and an appointment and WHAM!  By 11:30 the next day, I had perfect vision in my left eye!!!!

With a close up contact in my right eye, I am so close to being normal, it scares me.  Wearing my glasses, however, it a problem...4 more weeks until they will write a new prescription.  Can't wait!

Now that I can see...I'll let you know what I saw!









3 comments:

bj said...

O so glad you have that behind you and you can SEE ! Wonderful....

Susie said...

I am happy for you. I put my surgery on hold for a while.. can not wait to get it done. I looked at some of your posts. OMG, what is it about kids and banisters. My daughter did that once and then many years later her own son too. LOL. Blessings to you ad yur family, xoxo, Susie

NanaDiana said...

I have the same type of vision-wear a contact in one eye for long-distance vision. No cataracts yet, thank the good lord. Glad your surgery was so successful and that you have good vision again! xo Diana