Wednesday, February 18, 2015

We interrupt the baby show...

To show you where I've been hiding for a few weeks.
 
Remember, I told you I was behind this door...
 
 
and that I was working with this...
 
 
And I'm sure you thought I'd taken leave of my senses...
 
Work with me here...
 
For those who just got here, a brief lesson in family history.
 
My late husband, Mark (Andy and Tony's father), passed away suddenly
three years ago. 
 
Mark loved plaid cotton shirts.  Every day during warm weather, he would come home and change his business clothes into something plaid.
 
There were even times when he (purposely, to drive us crazy) overdid it...
 
 
After Mark died, I gave away all of his business clothes, but I saved every one of those shirts.  I knew that one day, I would use them to help the boys remember him.
 
The year after he died, I made Christmas ornaments for his siblings and the boys...
 
 
 
I kept every scrap.
 
When Andy and Ashley said that airplanes would be the theme of Locklan's nursery,
I had to search...and search...
for a way to use my precious stash...
 
I searched and searched for a pattern I could use.
 
Finally!
 
 
 
Airplanes!  The wings are made of the plaid shirt fabric!
 
It was a top secret project.  Very few people knew about this...
 
I wanted a special way to give this quilt to Andy.
 
We had often joked about designer diaper bags, so when I found the Craftsman tool bag,
it was perfect and sooooo Andy,
 
I wrapped the quilt in tissue paper,  put it in the tool bag and took it to the hospital...
 
 
 
 
please forgive the blurry photos...Mr. K is a wonderful husband
but he sucks at photography!!
 
I think Andy was overwhelmed...
 
 
I think all of us were overwhelmed...
 
there was even a tiny scrap in there from a shirt that belonged to Mark's dad...
 
How fitting that Mark should be the one to give him wings.
 
God bless baby Locklan!
 
God bless you!
Love,
Jan
 

 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 

1 comment:

a Pocket Angel said...

Jan...How wonderful... this made me cry. I love the idea.. Bless you!